Spring Ford enjoys a rich architectural history. Originally a 9 hole layout designed by J. Franklin Meehan (North Hills & Sandy Run), William Gordon (Saucon Valley's Grace & Weyhill, Medford Village & Old York Road) designed the present 18 hole course. Prior to joining the Toomey & Flynn organization in 1923, Gordon had built courses for architects such as Donald Ross, Devereux Emmet, and Willie Park, Jr. However, Spring Ford's original membership may have been more impressed by the fact that Gordon had been a central figure in the revisions at both Shinnecock Hills and The Country Club carried out by Toomey & Flynn.
Always striving to keep Spring Ford one of the region's strongest tests in golf, in the late 1990's Spring Ford engaged one of our generation's greatest architects, Gil Hanse (Golf Magazine's 2009 Architect of the Year, Castle Stuart, Boston Golf Club and Rio 2016 Olympics) to evaluate the course and establish a plan to freshen, adjust or add to the course's current design. As part of Spring Ford's ongoing Master Plan, many of Hanse's suggestions have been carried out, including extensive work with the green and bunker complexes. Today, among the course’s most memorable features are the Gordon-style greens, often canted severely from back to front, now surrounded by Hanse’s tenacious bunker complexes.